UPDATE: Deadly accident closes I-295 North in Hanover | News
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - State police are investigating a deadly crash that occurred Tuesday night.
The crash happened around 8 p.m. near the Pole Green Road exit. It shut down Interstate 295 in Hanover County for several hours. All lanes of I-295 were reopened this morning.
The crash occurred when a 53 year-old male from Glen Allen was initially struck by a 2005 Chevrolet Trail Blazer, according to Virginia State Police. According to several witnesses, the male ran into the roadway and was struck in the right center lane. After being struck by the Trail Blazer, the male was struck by three other vehicles who all stopped at the scene.
The driver of the Trail Blazer could not avoid the male as he was standing in the lane of travel. The roadway is not lighted in the area.
It took at least three and a half hours for crews to clear things up and re-open the road.
Copyright 2011 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Mechanicsville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- All lanes back open after three-vehicle crash on I-95 south in Hanover
- Goodbye Hanover chimps event to benefit children's cancer
- VA State Trooper crashes patrol car into pickup at Kings Charter
- Former employee at Ashland Police Department in court
- All lanes now open on I-295 after overturned tractor trailer